Friday, December 6, 2013

Recycled Crayons

A high school batch mate posted a recycling project she did with her girls at home, and with her idea, I thought of a way to help raise funds (small scale) for our school.

Since I work at a school, I had access to crayons... a lot of crayons that end up getting thrown away at the end of each school year.  So before we went on summer break, I asked all my co teachers to give me their left over crayons so I can work on it as my summer project.

The first thing I needed to do was prepare my crayons. I had to soak the crayons in water overnight so I can take the wrapper/peeling off.  Then I sorted them according to color.

After all that was done, I had to gather the other materials I was going to need.
  • silicone molds (I got these silicone ice molds from IKEA)
  • Pam oil spray
  • popsicle stick for stirring 
  • foil baking trays (I used foil muffin trays that I cut separately and manipulated the edges to form a spout for easy pouring)
  • tongs and oven mitts
  • scented oils (optional)
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Put the crayons in the foil, onto a baking tray covered with foil and into the oven. Leave them in there until the crayons melt. 


Prepare the silicone molds by spraying them with Pam. This will help to make taking the crayons out of the mold easier and it will also help with less staining and less left over crayons in the mold that will make clean up difficult. I worked on the crayons one color at a time.

Check your crayons in the oven. Stir the thick liquid with a stick to make sure that the crayons have completely melted. You may add drops of scented oil at this time. 

Pour the melted crayons into the mold and wait for the crayons to cool and set. It may take about an hour or more. 


   



I packed an assortment of  colored crayons and shapes and sold them as a fundraiser back to the students at the school. 




No comments:

Post a Comment